Have you been considering therapeutic boarding school for your troubled teen, but have doubts about whether or not they work? As you ask yourself the question “where can I send my troubled teen?”, it’s important to be thorough in your research. In this article, let’s talk about what therapeutic boarding schools are, the pros and cons of therapeutic boarding school, and what to look for in the best therapeutic boarding schools.
If you’re wondering whether or not therapeutic boardings school works, this article is for you.
What Is a Therapeutic Boarding School?
Therapeutic boarding schools are residential programs for troubled teens that specialize as a school. What that means is that they have therapeutic activities, individual counseling and group therapy incorporated into a boarding school environment.
Many of the troubled teens that attend therapeutic boarding school are struggling with anxiety, depression, past substance abuse issues, attachment disorders, eating disorders, and emotional trauma. Therapeutic boarding school can be a great option for parents looking for extra therapeutic support for their teen while not compromising their academic futures.
When a troubled teen needs to get away from too many negative influences they’ve involved themselves with at home, sending them away to a therapeutic boarding school can be a life changing decision for them. Residential programs for troubled teens come in all shapes and sizes. Let’s talk about the pros and cons of therapeutic boarding school in particular.
Pros and Cons of Therapeutic Boarding School
When evaluating therapeutic boarding schools there are some important factors to consider.
Here are some pros and cons of therapeutic boarding school:
- There’s no compromising your teen’s academic development
- Many offer opportunities for global and experiential education
- Highly structured and engaging daily life help instill discipline and self confidence
- Positive social development and accountability from staff, mentors and peers
- It can be difficult to send your teen away from home, taking you and your troubled teen out of your comfort zone (Pro TIP: this can feel like a con, but therapeutically, discomfort opens the door for real, lasting change)
- By offering therapeutic services alongside engaging academic instruction and 24 hour care, an accredited program can be expensive
While this is by no means an exhaustive list, . By speaking with the staff and students you can get an accurate feel for their therapeutic philosophy and model.
Best Therapeutic Boarding Schools
To ensure your therapeutic boarding school experience is a positive one, there are some guidelines you can follow when searching for the best therapeutic boarding schools.
- What accreditations and licensure do they have?
- Do they offer opportunities for honors classes, school clubs, and experiential education?
- How do they measure therapeutic progress?
- What kind of collaboration is there between academics and therapeutics?
- Do they have a specialization?
The best way to determine if a therapeutic boarding school will work for your teen is to go visit the program. As a therapeutic boarding school for girls, we specialize in working with high school aged young women. If your teen daughter is struggling with depression, anxiety, school refusal or emotional trauma, we’re here for you and would love to meet you. Give us a call today at 1-877-788-8422